Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Recreational Reading


It's been a few years since I had a magazine subscription. Over the course of my life, I've subscribed to the following magazines: Sports Illustrated for Kids, Sports Illustrated, Blender, Maxim, ESPN, Rolling Stone, Spin, and Slam. My favorite magazine of all time was (and still is) Slam Magazine. For some reason though, I have not bought an issue of it for about five years and haven't had a subscription for about ten years.
I got my first issue of Slam when I was 16 and about to take a trip to Italy with my family. It was June of 1998 and my Bulls had just won their sixth championship and, with a lockout looming, I was looking to soak up as much NBA stuff as I could. By the time our three week trip had finished, I had read the magazine cover to cover about seven or eight times. It remains, to this day, my favorite issue of any magazine ever...I still own it, along with about 30 or 40 issues of Slam. I have a thing about throwing magazines out--I have two big bins of them in my den closet. One of the better features in Slam is the "Punks" section where they write about high school players. I've really enjoyed looking back on what people wrote about future NBA players at the time (Joel Pryzbilla, Ben Gordon, Amare Stoudermire) and players who will forever be etched in my brain because of the promise they showed (Kenny Satterfield or Alton Ford).
Anyhow, was thinking about Slam today, thought I'd share.
**The picture is of the issue I was referring to**

No comments: