Monday, July 7, 2008

For One Day, Tennis Was Back

A few weeks back Bill Simmons wrote a column for an issue of ESPN the Magazine about how to save tennis. Some of Simmons' ideas might go towards ressurecting the sport--it sure as hell can't hurt if every major tournament has a finale like yesterday's Wimbeldon final. Holy crap. I threw the match on towards the end of the fourth set, right before the tiebreaker thinking that Rafael Nadel might take down Roger Federer. After about two and a half hours, I was still caught up in the match.
I spent the most part of the evening monitoring the media's reaction to the match. I was blown away by the drama and, to be honest, was wondering if it was just me or was the match really as exciting as I thought it was. The consensus: it was the most exciting Wimbeldon final ever. John McEnroe called the it the greatest tennis match he's ever seen.
So if you caught it, consider yourself lucky. If you missed it, don't be quick to write it off as just a tennis match.

No comments: