Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Paper Lanterns (Live)

Out of curiosity, what is your opinion on summer concert festivals? I had an opportunity to go to Lollapalooza last year in Chicago and I loved it. I've stated before that seeing Muse at the festival was somewhere near the level of a religious experience, never before had I seen a more mindblowing live show. It got me thinking about how I might be ten years too young (now, don't get me wrong, I'm happy being 25) but a 22 year old me would've loved seeing Woodstock '94. I actually gave some thought about going to Woodstock '99, but didn't like the chances that my parents would let 17 year old me go to New York for a weekend of this. Probably a good choice as Woodstock '99 ended up being one of the biggest blunders in Rock and Roll history. I'd like to think we've learned (and the lack of testosterone fueled bands like Limp Bizkit and Godsmack being relivant) so we wouldn't pull that crap again.
Then I began thinking about the possibility of Woodstock '09. 40 years later? Why the hell not? Well, for one, it will be tough as hell to convince whoever needs convicing that what happened in 1999 wouldn't happen in 2009. Regardless, I'll state it right now, right here--if there is a Woodstock '09--I'm all in. Why not a collection of yesterday and today? One stage for original Woodstock artists with Bob Dylan, Country Joe McDonald, etc... and one stage for today's artists who would fit the bill (see: peace, love, rock and roll).
After doing a little bit of research I've found out that Woodstock.com is under construction and some internet rumors claim that a Woodstock event will occur in 2009. No further details.
I had to write about this a little bit, I officially have the itch. To momentairly satisfy the itch I give you Green Day's performance of "Paper Lanterns" from Woodstock 1994 (the famous mud fight). Good stuff. And more to the point of Woodstock 2009, who would you like to see perform there? Let me know in the comment section.

No comments: