Wednesday, May 21, 2008

That Just Happened!

A couple of notes about last night's NBA Draft Lottery:
1. My Bulls somehow bucked the odds and landed the #1 pick. I don't know exactly how to react to this. To be honest, it hasn't even sunk in. The team that some publications were picking to win the Eastern Conference this year, had a down year, but somehow landed the first pick? I think I was more excited when we found out the Bulls jumped into the top 3. At that point? Playing with house money. Also, sitting with a few Timberwolves fans, I was hoping they'd land #1 or #2 along with the Bulls. Then, the Wolves landed the #3 pick and I wanted to feel bad at that moment but then I realized: Holy shit, the Bulls are going to get Michael Beasley or Derrek Rose. That thought lasted for all of three seconds before the Heat's logo popped up and then I realized: Holy shit, the Bulls are going to have their choice between Michael Beasley or Derrek Rose!
2. You gotta feel for Timberwolves fans. They seemed to know they wouldn't get the first or second pick before the lottery began. Almost as if just having Kevin McHale in the front office makes you lose all hope in your team. After landing the #3 pick, you can almost see Danilo Gallinari getting fitted for his Timberwolves hat (You might think I'm just pouring salt into the collective wounds of Wolves fans, but Chad Ford thinks it's a distinct possiblity).
3. So Bulls take Beasley/Rose and Miami takes option #2, do both teams make the playoffs next year? I think the Bulls are in (they just had a quirky season) but assuming Wade is healthy and Marion resigns with the Heat? Is it really that far fetched? That could end up being a 7 or 8 seed.
4. Fred Hoiberg's reaction to the Wolves landing at #3 is priceless. The teddy bear he was holding didn't do him any favors (yes, I know the bear was a gift from a sick kid to bring the Wolves good luck, but combine the teddy bear with Hoiberg looking 12 years old--even if you're Wolves fan, you have to find it funny). Don't agree? Go to the 5:33 mark in this video and try and tell me it's not funny.


We'll have much more on the NBA Draft over the next few weeks leading up to the draft. Josh Nguyen will be posting more draft bios and I'll be doing my weekly mock draft starting this week.

No comments: